- EDDLESTONE, a parish, in the county of Peebles; containing 742 inhabitants, of whom 139 are in the village, 4 miles (N.) from Peebles. This parish, undistinguished by any events of historical importance, is about ten miles in length, from north to south, and seven miles in breadth, and comprises 21,250 acres, of which 4370 are arable, 1050 woodland and plantations, and 15,830 permanent pasture, and meadow. The surface is diversified by hills covered with verdure to their summits; the highest, called Dundroich, or Druid's hill, has an elevation of 2100 feet above the level of the sea, and commands an extensive and finely-varied prospect embracing the Cheviot hills, part of the pleasing dales of Teviot, Annan, and Clyde, with portions of the counties of Perth and Fife, the river Forth, and the city of Edinburgh. The chief river is the South Esk, which issues from a lake of about two miles in circumference, at the base of Dundroich, and flows into the sea at Musselburgh; the lake abounds with pike, eels, and perch, and forms an interesting feature in the scenery, which is also enriched with extensive plantations of modern growth. The soil is various, and on some of the farms might be rendered much more fertile than it is, through the adoption of a more extensive system of draining the lands. The crops are, oats, barley, wheat, peas, potatoes, and turnips; the system of agriculture is in an improved state. The buildings are substantial and commodious; the lands are generally well inclosed, and the fences mostly kept in good repair. About 5500 sheep are annually reared on the hills, of which nearly one-half are of the Cheviot, and the rest of the black-faced breed; on the dairy-farms about 280 milch-cows are pastured, chiefly the Ayrshire and Teeswater, and 500 head of young cattle are annually reared. The woods and plantations are well managed, and usually in a thriving condition. The rateable annual value of the parish, as returned for the Income tax, is £6694.The village is pleasantly situated, neatly built, and well inhabited; a post-office has been established, and has a daily delivery from Edinburgh and Peebles, with which, and other places, there is facility of communication by roads kept in excellent order. A fair used to be held in the village on the 25th of September; it was a considerable mart for cattle, and numerously attended, but has recently been wholly discontinued. The parish is in the presbytery of Peebles and synod of Lothian and Tweeddale, and patronage of Lord Elibank; the minister's stipend is £249, with a manse, and a glebe valued at £24 per annum. The church, rebuilt in 1829, is a neat and substantial edifice adapted for a congregation of 420 persons. The parochial school affords education to about a hundred and twenty children; the master's salary is £34, with £42 fees, and a good house; he has also the privilege of taking boarders. There are remains of three circular camps, evidently Danish: one of these, on the lands of Norshield, has been preserved nearly in its original state of perfection, and surrounded with a plantation; the others are almost obliterated. On the lands of Kingside, a vessel has been dug up containing a large number of gold and silver coins, the former in good preservation, but the latter much defaced; on some was legible the inscription Jacobus S. Scotorum Rex. Near the northern extremity of this farm was a tumulus, inclosed with three circular walls, and which was opened by the tenant, and found to contain a rudely-formed stone coffin, in which were human bones in a partly calcined state, and close to it a variety of brazen weapons, in form resembling axes; two of them were sent to the museum of the Antiquarian Society of Edinburgh. This farm was a hunting-seat belonging to James VI. The Rev. Patrick Robertson, the present incumbent, is the great-grandson of the Rev. James Robertson, who was ordained to the parish in 1697, and, after a ministration of fifty years, was succeeded by his son Alexander, who in 1772 was followed by his son Dr. Patrick Robertson, who held the living also for fifty years, and died in 1822.
A Topographical dictionary of Scotland. Samuel Lewis. 1856.
Look at other dictionaries:
Peeblesshire, or Tweeddale — PEEBLESSHIRE, or TWEEDDALE, an inland county, in the southern part of Scotland, bounded on the north by Edinburghshire, on the east by Selkirkshire and Edinburghshire, on the south by the county of Dumfries, and on the west by Lanarkshire. It… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
Peebles — (spr. Pihbis), 1) (Tweddale, spr. Tuwihddehl), Grafschaft im südlichen Schottland, an Edinburg, Lanark u. Dumfries grenzend, 11,6 QM.; Gebirge: Leadhills, Spitzen: Hartfell (2900 Fuß), Broodlaw u.a.; Flüsse: Tweed, Leithan, Lyne, Mannor u.… … Pierer's Universal-Lexikon
Newton  — Newton (spr. njūt n), 1) Isaac, der Begründer der neuern mathematischen Physik und der physischen Astronomie, geb. 5. Jan. 1643 zu Woolsthorpe in der Grafschaft Lincoln, gest. 31. März 1727 in Kensington. Seit 1660 studierte er in Cambridge… … Meyers Großes Konversations-Lexikon
Peebles — PEEBLES, a burgh, market town, and parish, in the county of Peebles, of which it is the capital; containing 2632 inhabitants, of whom 1898 are in the burgh, 21 miles (S.) from Edinburgh. This place, which is of great antiquity, bears evident… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
Temple — 1) TEMPLE, a parish, in the county of Edinburgh, 10 miles (S. S. E.) from Edinburgh; containing, with the village of Gorebridge, and part of Stobbsmills, 1159 inhabitants. The name of this place was derived from an establishment of the… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland